Welcome to SEDA!
We are offering FREE workshops as part of our Welcome Week. These workshops are designed to give students a sample of speech and debate. These workshops are designed for students with 0 – 1 year of experience in grades in grades 5 to 12. Our Intro to British Parliamentary Style Workshop is open to students with a greater experience level.
Introduction to Speech
- Friday September 22, 6:15 - 7:45 PM
- All good speakers use 3 important elements in their speech: logic, emotion, and facts. This class will give students an introduction on how to incorporate these and other elements into public speaking.
Introduction to Debate
- Online and in-person options
- Satruday September 23, 10:15 - 11:45 AM
- The in-person option will be at Walter Murray Collegiate, 1905 Preston Ave S.
- Students will be introduced to the structure of a debate, foundational critical thinking skills, and brainstorming ideas.
Introduction to British Parliamentary Style
- Sunday September 24, 12:30 - 2:00 PM
- Students will be introduced to the structure of British Parliamentary Style
- This workshop is open to students in grades 7 to 12 who have two years of experience in National Style debate. We also encourage those who have only tried a British Parliamentary Style tournament once or twice to sign up! This will be a great refresher before our first BP tournaments of the season in October.
- Students who attend this workshop can practice BP style at our Debate Day!
- Saturday September 30, 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Students will practice one debate round and test out some of the skills they have been introduced to.
- Students do not need to attend all workshops. There will be an option on the registration form to select which workshops they plan to attend.
- Students can register HERE by September 18.